There are few things more rewarding than adopting a child. Our firm guides clients through various family law matters in New Jersey, however, there are few as wonderful as helping parents adopt a child and grow their families. If you are looking to adopt a child in New Jersey, you should continue reading and speak with our New Jersey family law attorneys to learn more about the different types of adoption available to you in NJ.
Types of Adoption in New Jersey
- Domestic Adoption: This is perhaps the most common form of adoption. Domestic adoption is when you adopt a child that was born in and lives in the United States. Open domestic adoption is when a child and his or her adoptive parents stay in touch with one another throughout the child’s life.
- International Adoption: Rather obviously, this is when a parent adopts a child who was born in and lives in another country. While this is generally more involved than domestic adoption, as you may have to make several trips between countries, international adoption is also very rewarding, both for the parent and the child.
- Private Adoption: When an individual adopts a child they already know or when an individual adopts a child through that child’s biological parent, it is considered a private adoption, and these adoptions bypass the foster care system.
- LGBT Adoption: LGBT couples in New Jersey are allowed under NJ law to adopt a child.
- Second-Parent Adoption: This is when a same-sex parent adopts a biological or adoptive child without terminating the first parent’s legal status as a parent.
- Adult Adoption: Adult adoption is when two or more adults seek to transfer inheritance rights or filiation.
- Stepparent Adoption: This is when a stepparent adopts a stepchild. This is generally for one of two reasons: you wish to solidify and formalize your bond with your stepchild, or, the stepchild’s biological parent poses a danger to the child and you wish to adopt the child to protect him or her.
As you can see, if you are someone who is looking to adopt a child, you have several options to choose from. In many cases, the adoption process is a complex one, though our firm is here to help you through every step of the way. There is nothing we’d be happier to do than assist you in beginning this new chapter in life. Give us a call today.
Contact our experienced New Jersey firm
If you require strong legal representation for matters related to divorce or family law, Haber Silver Simpson & Russoniello is here to help. We proudly represent clients in Morris County and throughout the state of New Jersey. Contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.