The process of divorce is not simple. This is because there are various different parts and tasks that need to be completed in order for the marriage to be officially over. It is because of this that it is best to be as prepared as possible before beginning the proceedings. This can be done by ensuring you have the proper documentation that will be needed throughout the process. Continue reading below to learn more about which documents are needed and contact an experienced New Jersey divorce attorney for assistance during this time.
What Financial Information is Needed?
Finances are important in a divorce. The following information will be needed throughout the process:
- Individual and business income tax returns for the last 3-5 years (state and federal)
- W-2 statements for the last 3-5 years
- Recent employment pay stubs
- Monthly bank statements for the last 1-3 years for joint and individual accounts
- Stock, bond, and mutual fund monthly account statements for the last 1-3 years
- Account statements for annuities, CDs, 529s, UTMA/UGMA, etc. for the last 1-3 years
- Social security statement
Retirement savings information will also be needed. This includes 401(k)s and 403(b)s, IRAs, SERPs, SEPs, Keoughs, and pension statements.
What Property Information is Needed?
The property information that is needed in a divorce includes:
- Primary residence
- Rental properties
- Vacation homes and timeshares
- Business property
- Personal property of value
- Interests in a trust
- List of property owned by each party prior to marriage
- Vehicles, boats, motorcycles, etc.
- List of safety deposit box contents with a photocopy of signature cards
- Gifts to individuals
Are Child Related Expenses Needed?
Divorce can become more complicated when children are involved. This is why the following information is needed:
- Number and ages of children
- Health insurance
- Medical expenses
- Gifts or transfers to minors
- Special needs designations
What Information on Bills and Debts are Needed?
Bills and debts are divided in a divorce as well as the couple’s assets. That is why the following information is necessary:
- Credit card statements (joint and individual) for 1-3 years
- Loan documents
- Leases on vehicles
- Tax lines/debts due to the IRS
- Utility bills for the last 1-3 months
- Money due to third parties
- Student loans, tuition, etc.
- Outstanding medical bills
- Arrears on prior support orders and agreements
- Monthly budget worksheet
What Legal Agreements are Needed?
The following legal agreements are needed to be prepared for a divorce:
- Living wills
- Powers of attorney
- Advance healthcare directive
- Prenuptial agreement or postnuptial agreement
- Divorce judgments
- Business partnership agreements, records, books, etc.
Do I Need to Prepare Insurance Documents?
Insurance documents are needed during a divorce as well. This includes but is not limited to:
- Health insurances
- Life insurances
- Auto insurance
- Homeowner’s insurance
- Long term care insurance
- Disability insurance
Contact our Firm
If you require strong legal representation for matters related to divorce or family law, Haber Silver Simpson & Russoniello is here to help. We proudly represent clients in Morris County and throughout the state of New Jersey. Contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.